Volendam is a popular tourist destination and is known for its lively atmosphere and colorful, traditional Dutch costumes. Visitors can take a stroll along the harbor, watch the local fishing boats come and go, and sample some of the town's famous seafood. The town is also home to several museums, such as the Volendam Museum, which tells the history of the town and its inhabitants, and the Edam Cheese Museum, which explains how this famous Dutch cheese is made.
Things to do in Volendam?
Volendam is a charming and picturesque town that offers a wide variety of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are a few things to do in Volendam:
- New : Tulips in Volendam, the first tulip field in the history of Volendam can be visit this year, how do I get there and where can I park? ♥ Tulips in volendam
- Traditional Cheese factory and Clog workshop : You can visit a traditional cheese factory or a clog workshop in Volendam to see how these traditional Dutch products are made and learn more about the local culture.
- walk on the dike of Volendam and visit the museums: Volendam has several excellent museums that provide an insight into the town's history, culture, and economy. These include the Volendam Museum, which tells the story of the town and its inhabitants, and the Edam Cheese Museum, which explains how this famous Dutch cheese is made.
- Dress in traditional costume: Volendam is known for its traditional Dutch costumes, so it can be a lot of fun to dress up in a traditional outfit and have your photo taken. You can find several shops that rent these traditional costumes
- Take a boat tour to Marken: One of the best ways to see the town and its surroundings is to take a boat tour of the IJsselmeer. These tours are available from the harbor and offer great views of the town, the lake, and the surrounding countryside. Marken is a charming island village that is located just a short boat ride from Volendam. Visitors can take a tour of the island, visit the lighthouse and learn about the island's rich history and culture.
- Take a bike tour: Volendam is a great place to explore by bike, and there are many bike rental shops in the town where you can rent a bicycle and take a tour of the surrounding countryside.
Where in the world is Volendam?
Volendam is a small village in the Netherlands. It is located in the province of North Holland, in the western part of the country. The town is situated on the shores of the IJsselmeer, a large lake that was once part of the Zuiderzee, and it is about 15 km northwest of Amsterdam. Volendam is easily accessible by public transport from Amsterdam and other major cities in the Netherlands, as well as by car via the main highways.
Volendam to Amsterdam
do you want to visit volendam from amsterdam? volendam is the closest experience to visit from amsterdam, you can be in volendam within 24 minutes.There are several ways to travel from ♥Amsterdam to Volendam.
A photographic journey through Volendam
How to spend a perfect day in Volendam
What is the best time to visit Volendam?
- The high season for visitors in Volendam is from April untill Oktober.
- Start early in the morning to travel to volendam, by car or bus information: ♦ Amsterdam to Volendam
- Start with a tour to Marken, in the morning before 12 o'clock it's quiet in the center of volendam.
- Head to the harbor and enjoy some fresh seafood at one of the local restaurants. The village is known for its delicious seafood,
and you can't go wrong with a plate of raw herring or smoked eel.
- After lunch, take a walk along the dike that runs along the coast of the Markermeer. You will enjoy the beautiful views of the lake and the surrounding countryside and be able to see the sculptures, and paintings that are located along the dike.
- Visit a traditional wooden clog maker. Volendam is famous for its wooden clogs, and you can watch artisans create these iconic Dutch shoes by hand.
- End your day with a visit to a cheese farm. Many of the local cheese farms in the area offer tours and tastings, allowing you to learn about the process of making cheese and sample some of the delicious local varieties.
5 must see attractions in historic Volendam, Netherlands
- Visit the Tulip fields in Volendam with the old windmill, visit this experience with Tulip Tours Holland
- take a picture in a Traditional costume, why to take this picture? when you have taken this picture together you will remember and share this on social media for sure.
- visit a cheesse farm and Wooden clog factory located in volendam, see how they make cheese and carve dutch clog in the traditional way.
- Walk along the Dike, allot of souvenir shops and restaurants, locals and visitors stroll along the dike and enjoy a drink and fresh fish.
- boat tour to Marken., It is situated on a peninsula in the Markermeer,Marken is known for its traditional wooden houses and its role in the Dutch fishing industry.
FC Volendam is a professional football club based in Volendam, Netherlands. The club was founded in 1977 and currently plays in the Eerste Divisie, which is the second tier of Dutch football. The team has a strong fan base in the town and the surrounding area, and their home games are played at Kras Stadion, which has a capacity of 6,984 spectators.
FC Volendam has a reputation for developing young talent, and many of its players have gone on to play for top teams in the Netherlands and abroad. Some of the notable players who started their career at FC Volendam include Dick Tol, Wim Kras, Wim Jonk.
The club had their best run in the top tier of Dutch football (Eredivisie) between 1999-2001, they were relegated in 2001 and have since played in the second tier of Dutch football (Eerste Divisie) and have had a few promotions, they were relegated and promoted several times since then.
In addition to its football team, FC Volendam also has a successful youth academy, which has produced many talented players over the years. The academy is known for its focus on technical skill development, and many of its graduates have gone on to play professional football.
In recent years the club went through some financial struggles, but it has been able to continue operating and competing through support from the local community and fans. The club aims to promote and develop talent from the area and to work hard to climb back to top tier, the Eredivisie.